Bangladesh Association for Maternal and Neonatal Health (BAMANEH), as the name implies, is concerned with maternal, neonatal and child health services. Being concerned at the alarming situation of high maternal and neonatal mortality along with higher rate of morbidity, a group of highly experienced medical professionals and renowned social workers united and laid the foundation of the organization in September 1979. Late Prof. (Dr.) Syeda Firoza Begum, an eminent Obstetrician/Gynecologist of the country was the founder President of the organization. As a pioneer NGO, BAMANEH has been contributing significantly in the arena of Maternal, Neonatal and Child health care since its inception and supplements and complements Govt.’s efforts in the health sector .
Profile of the Organization:
The constitution of BAMANEH clearly lays down the objectives and the management guidelines of the organization. There are two bodies: A General Council consisting of thirty members enrolled from diverse fields e.g, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maternal and Child Health, Neonatal Health, Maternal and Child Nutrition, Family Planning and Contraception, Human Reproduction, Social Welfare etc. The Executive Committee (EC) consisting of nine members is elected from the General Council for a period of five years. The General Council meets once a year. The EC meets at least once in every three months, formulates policy guidelines and makes decisions on important issues.
Present Executive Committee:
- Prof.(Dr.) Sadiqa Tahera Khanam (MCH Specialist) – President
- Prof.(Dr.) Kohinoor Begum (Obs./Gyn. Specialist) – Vice President
- 5. Dr. Reena Yasmin (Rep. Health specialist) – Treasurer
- Dr. Laila Arjumand Banu (MCH and Training Specialist) – Secretary
- Dr. Sufia Begum (Obs./Gyn. Specialist) – Member
- Prof.(Dr.) Shamsunnahar (MCH specialist) – Member
- Dr.Hosne Ara Begum (MCH and Training specialist) – Member
- Dr. Md.Nurul Amin (MCH and IT Specialist) – Member
- Dr. Md. Tawfique (Child Specialist) – Member